Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy half a year old

My baby boy is six months old today. A half a year! Not really sure where the time went in some ways, and in others, it feels like he’s always been here. The past months have been a lesson in life that I wouldn’t trade for anything else in the world. Yes, its easy to say that now, but maybe wouldn’t have been so easy to say it in the moment of any one of the sleepless nights, crying fits (mine and his), poopy diapers that could gag you from a mile away, gassy tummies, or mornings that started before the sun came up.  I am, by nature, not a morning person, and will not be converted, no matter how persistent Joseph is, but I have developed a bit more tolerance for them. I remember thinking, “I can’t wait until he sleeps through the night…starts sleeping in his crib…rolls over…holds his own bottle…smiles to let me know if he likes something…eats real food…breaks a tooth… fits in a regular car seat…these things will make our lives so much easier.”   

It was so easy to get wrapped up in the anticipation of him graduating from one thing to the next, that I’m not sure we fully appreciated each step along the way. It got me to thinking- this is how most of us live our lives. We are always waiting for the next thing- the thing that will top everything else, make our own world a little better, a little less difficult. I know as a kid, I couldn’t wait to be older, to do everything adults could do. But eventually, I did grow older, and then I realized the many highlights of being a kid.  It’s not that I’ve never thought about this concept before, but it took my son to make me realize how important it is to resist the urge to think like this.

At 6 months old, Joseph has done or is about to do most of the things that only a few months ago I couldn't wait for him to accomplish.  As I pack away clothes that no longer fit him, pull out new toys that he's finally old enough to play with, or pick up things off the floor so he doesn't eat them, I am reminded of how small he was just a short time ago...and I've even found myself missing those times.  
 
Perhaps the past 6 months haven't just taught me more patience, that its ok to rock sweat pants for five days in a row, better time management, a few new ways to pull my hair into a ponytail, and an entire new set of priorities. Maybe the bigger, more important lesson I’ve taken away from this experience, is that life happens whether you’re paying attention or not. Enjoy the moments, don’t rush through them. Find the happiness and purpose in even the difficult and inconvenient times.  

As for me, I will be reminding myself to take in every runny nose, belly laugh, log roll across the floor, sweet potato covered face, bottle spill, temper tantrum, pee in the tub, nap in the car, and morning smile. And although, I’ll still be looking forward to each next step, I will treasure the moment that we are in right now.

 Happy half-birthday Joseph! Mommy loves you with all her heart :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment